Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wind is your favorite thing ever?!?

Say that to the old lady with a plastic bag over her head. I know you put curlers in your hair every night at 8:00 right before you go to bed but, c’mon, a plastic bag? What a poor example to children everywhere. One must always think of the children.

I watched as a sister missionary walked into gale force winds the other day and outstretch her arms as if welcoming the wind to pick her up and take her away. If only it had. She must have been from Kansas…or Wyoming. Her companion and she started singing “I Need Thee Every Hour,” not out of desperate need but sheer joy. Interesting selection. Her high-spirited nature got me thinking. Wind?!

Of all the things to choose as your favorite ever. Wind. Not oreos, not hugs, not babies or other small things like walruses, not free (legal) music, not working at the Church Archives, not...more oreos...

I mean, would you rather live in a place that’s perpetually rainy or perpetually windy? Let me put it this way, would you rather live in the Pacific Northwest or an internal combustion engine? Singing in the Rain or Gone With the Wind?

Not only does wind cause tornadoes, hurricanes, and blizzards but it spreads wildfires and volcanic eruptions...and...pandemic diseases. Heavy rainfall, on the other hand, puts out wildfires and prevents droughts and killer heat waves.

Now, if I remember correctly from my English classes, in order to have a good argument one must concede a few points. Here they are:
1. On a really hot day a cool breeze feels great...not as nice as a little drizzle...but great.
2. We have yet to invent a way to extract electrical energy from rain. Though, if we did, perhaps we could finally take down those wind turbines in Lehi.
3. ...maybe rain contributes to floods and landslides...

I'm not really sure how this became a competition between the forces of condensation and the forces of...well, air pressure and temperature distribution but I have one final point.

Isn't precipitation romantic?

8 comments:

A STAR is born said...

Funny you should mention.
On a recent outing I exclaimed that wind was my least favorite weather element. Everyone was appalled. "Tornadoes?" they demanded, "hurricanes?" they challenged. Even torrential rain was pitted against my statement.

Wind messes up my hair. And throws bits of...bits into my eyes. Up-ends tables, chairs, billowy skirts. Howls at my windows when I try to sleep. Turns a mild day into a slightly chilly one. Ruins the water when I'm waterskiing.

And may I add that tornadoes and hurricanes are pretty much just wind gone evil, so where the heck is that argument now? BAM!

Alison said...

I like the wind. It has it's bad side, but what about the feeling of the wind rushing through your hair as you drive in a convertable? or the sound it makes as it rustles through the trees? Also I'm pretty sure that you couldn't have rain or any other type of weather without it.

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Oh how I love the wind...chill factor. The high today will be 15-20 degrees, but with the wind chill factor, we'll be lucky if we reach(drumroll please) -5!
Three cheers for the wind.

Anonymous said...

Moderation in all things, my friends. I've heard from a very reliable source that we need wind to wipe out the dreadful inversions we have here in Utah. Wind is just misunderstood.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to mention that I'm pretty sure water wheels and dams use water as a source of electrical energy. Unfortunately you actually need water for that to work, hence the windmills in Lehi.

Lohra said...

What's up with people actually standing up for wind? The wind rushing through your hair while you drive in a convertable isn't actually wind...it's you driving fast in a convertable. Would you really prefer your hair to continue rushing when you stop driving?
Water wheels and dams use rushing water from lakes, reservoirs, and rivers...not falling rain. If you have no way of storing water in large natural basins then you have no electrical energy.

Chelsi Ritter said...

Eric would like to point out that they do make electricity from rain. They store the rain in a lake behind a dam, and it powers most of the northwest and even parts of Utah. The rushing water comes from millions of raindrops added together.

Lohra said...

Stop it, all of you. Just accept it--I'm right and you're wrong.