Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Great Flood.

I interrupt this travellog in order to keep you all updated on current events. It's a generous service I provide here, I know.

So...there's some flooding going on. Maybe you've heard of it--water in places outside the bounds man has set for it.

There's also a little cottage in southern Wisconsin called "The Lake" on the shores of Lake Koshkonong--which, I've just learned, is actually NOT a lake but a bulge in a river...in which case the cottage may need to be renamed...and which is also more than I can say for my sister who just learned that there's actually a lake there. My grandpa used to live in this cottage so when I was young my family would spend most of our vacations visiting him. I won't bore you with nostalgic details of the things we would do there. Just know the cottage has been in the family for a while and now that my grandpa has passed away my dad owns it and has spent many weekends down there getting things ship-shape...just in time for...
Instead of wading through waist-deep water for 100 yards to get to the cottage my parents and aunt and uncle used a canoe. Yep, a tippy canoe. Then they lugged all the ruined furniture to higher ground. Aah...just like the flood of '59...or was it '58...no, no it was '59.

5 comments:

SHELLS BELLS! said...

That is crazy.

Milly said...

floods...they ruin everything! haha

Anonymous said...

That cottage by the lake has personally affected my life. I am sad. Now we know for certain that Wisconsin...or the UP...was never meant to be colonized.

Meags.... said...

So crazy! hope everything is going good. You have a surprise coming from Mexcio!

Corinne said...

Oh my...so sad. I hope not ALL of it is ruined. On a totally different note, I am so jealous you went to Greece. As you know, we were supposed to go, but now it's a no go. I am not bitter or anything...