Friday, December 05, 2008

Oh M.E.

Well I did it. I built a robot.

Rather, my team of 4 built 4 robots. We competed yesterday in the campus-wide Egglympics Gymneggstics competition…yeah, I don’t come up with these things. The competition included 4 events: balance beam, uneven bars, vault, and floor exercise. My team met almost every day for the last week and a half, including staying up ‘til 2:30 the night before building and building and reconfiguring and not sleeping. All for almost naught.

Our robots only kind of worked.

As luck would have it, neither did my camera. I was excited to document this momentous occasion with video and pictures and stories galore…and I forgot my memory card. Thankfully I found an Asian with a very large camera to take pictures for me.

Just so you know, each event involves certain objectives—like traveling the length of a beam and completing a flip or going from one corner of a taped-off square to the other and performing a 180 degree rotation—all while not breaking an egg...and all by itself. Perhaps I'd be more sure that this is what I want to do if we had been a little more successful...
Duct tape and hot glue. That's what our robots were made of. This picture made it onto the Daily Utah Chronicle's website.

7 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

I can't even do those things. At least not with an egg on me. Darn robots are taking over the world. And YOU'RE HELPING. Whose side are you on, anyway????

Anonymous said...

How do you make it go? most importantly...who bought the eggs?

The Everyday Housewife said...

Now I've heard it all! A robot? Gymnastics? Did the egg break? Was it hardboiled? Who came up with this assignment and competition? Do you still have the robot? Can I give it to Ian for Christmas?

Anonymous said...

It seems the general consensus is that you didn't include enough details. The robot is beautiful, though!

Lohra said...

A magician never reveals her tricks...so I've heard. I'm not sure what that has to do with me but...yes, Vanessa, Ian can have them all for Christmas. Except, perhaps, the one that involves a rat trap.

Lohra said...

...and by tricks, I mean secrets. If a magician never revealed her tricks, I'm pretty sure she'd be...not a magician.

Anonymous said...

How EGGCITING...In my opinion the fact your robot moved at all qualifies you for a big fat A+