Wednesday, February 17, 2010

David Copperfield.

"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously."

Is it possible to love a book at the outset of its opening chapter? What if it were read to you in a sonorous British accent? Yep, that's what I thought - love.

I feel the same way about people. Give me your words in the dulcet tones of foreign islands and I will love you more.

As anyone who knows me knows...nose goes...I love reading. I've loved it since that sacrament meeting when, looking at my copy of the comic book scriptures, I heartily declared, "I can read!" But...admittedly, I haven't always appreciated the writing, the character development, THE WORDS. Oh, the words. Guys, I'm older now. I know better. I am a rehabilitated reader.

Give me your words and I will love you. Cross my heart.

7 comments:

A STAR is born said...

I want those words in me, now. I guess I should start Mr. Copperfield, then? Consider it done.

(PS I suddenly feel that my entire life would be different if only I could claim that I were born at exactly midnight.)

SHELLS BELLS! said...

I just knew you would love David Copperfield. Keep reading. Keep reading.

Kristin said...

That's why we get along so well...my accents are aplenty.

Ange said...

I am a fellow lover of words, and books, and reading. David Copperfield is one of my all time favorites. One of my recent favs is The Book Thief...put it on your list! Seriously. It is beautiful.

Kristin said...

p.s. I like your profile.

moonchullee said...

Here sits a young girl reading, bathed in a buttery pillar of sunday sunlight. Here sits a young lady who will ever exclaim at the discovery of her own abilities. Which are both myriad and beautiful.

Surely the strike of the clock coincided with her birth, and not the other way around.

Chelsi Ritter said...

okay, i have this burning question. did the magician david copperfield take his name from the book? this can't just be a coincidence. or did his parents name him from the book?