Monday, July 23, 2012

Puzzling.

For some reason I still don't fully understand, I got 2 huge puzzles for Christmas last year. I mean, I like puzzles. Easy puzzles. 300-500 piece puzzles. Preferably 100 piece Looney Tunes puzzles. Puzzles I can work on socially. Methodically. For brief-ish periods of time. 

None of this adds up to a propensity to tackle a 4 x 2.7 foot puzzle...but that is what I got. So in January I started my preventative measures against early-onset Alzheimer's:
I was able to complete the top third -- buildings and sky -- (with help) before my family came out to visit at the end of January. They finished the crap out of that titan in one brief weekend. Puzzle wizards.
Riding the wake of their wand waving gusto, we decided to immediately start on the next behemoth:
I decided to do a better job at documenting the progress on this one. And by better, I just mean I decided to actually document the progress of this one. I present to you the following:

February 5 (Day 7):

February 13 (Day 15):

March 12 (Day 43 -- after another puzzle blitz [weekend] with the family):

 April 20 (Day 82):

 May 8 (Day 100):

May 27 (Day 119):

 June 21, 5:14 PM (Day 144):

  June 21, 11:32 PM (Day 144):

Two days later I moved out of my house....so now, instead of gluing the puzzle together like I was seriously (SERIOUSLY) considering, it had to be packed up like everything else:
Had I been at the house when it was taken apart, I probably would have made sure it was just folded in half 15 times and tucked neatly back into the box. That's ok, though, the next time I put it together it won't take nearly as long. Now I know where all the pieces go.

My family has now set their superhuman eyes on this masterpiece:


End note: the number of hits on my blog have gone way way up in the last month. Blogger claims it's a result of the way they count hits now. I think it's due to my use of  the word "impropriety" in my last post. Now that I know the secret to web-wide popularity, you better believe my posts are going to be way trashier from now on.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh, Laura, I miss you. I would love to help you with a puzzle! That would be LOTS of time to catch up!

Josie said...

Puzzles! Funny your post should be about them - I HaTe puzzles yet found myself doing 2 while up at the cabin with the kids. They were both disney, which is why I did them - and actually I found them quite delightful if not giving me a headache. However, ours were finished in a day or two and weren't nearly so difficult. I call them "fun" puzzles - not "stretch your mind and sanity level" puzzles. Congrats though - great accomplishment! And, I am with you I think the word impropriety did probably cause your count to spike - but only with intellectual, snobby blog stockers. :)