Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Anti-semantics (copyright Stefanie Star Snow, Esq., Inc., & Co.)

I thought about changing my headline to “Bloggerismifica: A collection of posts that closely resemble essays.” You laugh because it’s true. So I thought I’d give you, my adoring fans, a break and be brief…if that’s possible.

On her blog, my friend Shelley called herself a book snob. What she didn’t tell you is that she, along with myself and one other friend, are sometimes particular about the way people use words…affectionately called “word Nazis.” Mostly I chalk it up to our extreme brilliance and our well-read-edness. (Realize that, as in everything else, although we’re particular about what other people say, we don’t expect ourselves to keep the standard. I know it’s not fair, but tell me, when has life ever been fair?) In order to educate the general public I wanted to post some words that people may be having trouble with…or really just distinctions that I think are interesting.

Further/farther:
Further: refers to degree or extent
Farther: refers to physical distance

Graveyard/cemetery:
Graveyard: usually a small burial ground near a church
Cemetery: a larger area set apart for burial on the edge of town

Among/amongst:
They are the same, although amongst is probably older and more common in Britain.

Interpret/translate:
Interpret: oral
Translate: written

Weep/cry:
Weep: shed tears
Cry: shed tears noisily

Allegory/parable:
Allegory: lengthy story using figurative language to represent an abstract idea or general truth
Parable: short comparison or story using familiar situations to illustrate a moral principle

Hieroglyph/petroglyph/pictograph:
Hieroglyph: pictorial character used in a system of writing to represent meaning or sound
Petroglyph: picture pecked or carved into rock by prehistoric peoples
Pictograph: picture painted on rock by prehistoric peoples

Patriartichal:
This word was difficult to pinpoint but I believe it derives from the Greek patria meaning lineage and articulus meaning joint or division and thus translates to a division of lineage. For example, a patriartichal society is one in which tribes and family schisms dictate the social order. Also, a patriartichal blessing is one in which you find out about the division of your lineage…ok, that’s FALSE.

FACT: the word is patriarchal.

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Massecrated:
NOT a word.

So much for being brief...

4 comments:

Kaydi Paxman said...

wow-have you thought about taking on the topic of verbalization?

Lohra said...

Don't you realize, Kaydi, I AM verbalizing. ;)

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Love it!!! Now I can write a blog saying "please see Lohra's blog for my thoughts on semantics.

A STAR is born said...

You're such a snob.
And that's twice in one week I've been corrected about friggin petroglyphs.