Monday, January 07, 2008

"Can I have a minute to be human?"

"Novels, in the proper sense of the word, are not written to vanish in a month or a year. That most of them do, today, that they are written and published as if they were magazines, to fade as rapidly, is one of the sorriest aspects of today's literature." --Ayn Rand

Well, I finished it. Twilight--appropriately entitled Book 1 of the Twilight Saga, and I emphasize the word 'saga'.

I was admittedly curious about all of the attention this book received...from the media, from young teenage girls, and from desperate housewives all over the country. So I read it...and I'm no longer curious. I'm absolutely perplexed.

Does anyone actually relate to these characters? Bella, the new girl in school, doesn't struggle with acceptance as one might expect. Nope. Instead, she's the hot new item and happens to win the heart of the untouchable and irresistably attractive Edward...who turns out to be a 100-yr. old cannabalistic killer.

Naturally, Bella has no doubts whatsoever about this relationship and confidentally leaps from being intrigued to being in love. I mean, lust moderately camouflaged as love. She spends the whole book staring at his quarried body (quarried here meaning cut from stone) and...their first kiss fills her with such intense desire and consuming passion that she starts to hyperventilate. It actually makes her faint when they kiss again. Sorry, was that a spoiler?

Edward, on the other hand, pursues Bella not because of any redeeming qualities she may possess but because her neck smells so very good. I'm sure we could have done without the plug for strong perfume.

The fact that each successive chapter is more painful than the last is not solely a result of the overwhelmingly unrealistic romance--where the only thing Edward and Bella argue about is who loves who more--but also the abnormal use of adjectives. Things like "inescapable jeans," as if they somehow had it in for her, and "primordial cedars," a word generally used with soup or mass...or dwarfism. Not to mention this description: "He paused to catch a stray lock of hair that was escaping the twist on my neck..." The twist on her neck? Is she suffering from a severe case of scholiosis?

I suppose I should give the author credit for creating a whole series of books based on a dream. If I wrote a book inspired by a dream, my main character would steal a bus, drive it off a cliff, and end up unharmed by a cabin in the woods dressed as Aladdin.

I'm just saying...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...you are funny. I guess I don't have to be curious enough to see what the big fuss is about. Thanks for doing the work for me.

SHELLS BELLS! said...

"Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands. 'Be very still,' he whispered, as if I wasn't already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat."
What's not to love? I mean really. A girl falls in love with a vampire who is a few years older than her. I'm holding out for a vampire of my own.

Kaydi Paxman said...

Thank you for reaffirming the fact that I have absolutely no desire to read these books. I was pretty convinced after Shelley made me read a paragraph back at the blue house but this, this seals the deal.

Lohra said...

Anything to protect the innocent. Shells, I'm sorry if I offended you, I know you loved that book.

SHELLS BELLS! said...

I love reading the Twilight series to friends. Stay tuned for the next reading to be held this weekend. Long live Bella and Edward!

goat said...

All I have to say is I hope Edward dumps Bella again and has my neck to turn to in comfort.. I'll do what I can..love Vampires and Werewolves especially named Edward and Jacob.

A STAR is born said...

Oooh..you've done it this time. You're asking for some housewives-turned-egg-throwers to come atcha from all over our local talent-loving state.
I love vampire lore as much as the next chick, but I do not love vampire smut.
In an effort to relate to Bella, I must say I really hate it when I can't escape from my jeans! That's why I wear those pants with snaps all down the seams.
One more thing: Primordial soup? What the?

Chelsi Ritter said...

i'm so glad you reviewed this book and that i'm not missing anything. i've heard so much about this book too and have never had the desire to read it! now i know why!

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that I was at the mall in St. George and overheard an 18-19 year old male telling his friend how good he thought the book was. Move over housewives!
I did want to point out that in spite of the excessive length of the book, you still finished it. Either you have way too much time on your hands or it wasn't as bad as you claim...

A STAR is born said...

I meant to tell you--If you haven't experienced a kiss that makes you hyperventilate, you haven't lived.

Jared Woolstenhulme said...

(laugh), I love your accompanying Ayn Rand quote.

Lohra said...

You're right. I haven't lived. It's probably because I'm spending too much time reading excessively long books.