Thursday, March 13, 2008

Daylight Savings Timewarp

Daylight Savings Time--or "DST" as some people fondly refer to it--is not my friend...and I'm beginning to wonder if it ever really was.

I naively thought, as I went to bed at "2:00" Saturday night, that I would be fine. I had church at 1:00 and there was nothing to worry about. I slept in an hour and put DST behind me...or so I thought. I was totally unprepared for the ole' "day after" trick.

Sunday and Monday night I went to bed neither late nor early, yet I managed to sleep in both mornings and arrive 15 minutes late for work. It wasn't until Wednesday morning that I came to realize there was a tangible force working against me. That morning, when my alarm went off at 6:30, I thought, Oh good! I woke up on time! One second later it was 7:30 and I had 15 minutes to get to work. I had entered the Daylight Savings Timewarp.
Naturally, to counteract this phenomenon, I abandoned rational thought and did the last thing I should have done in this situation--I stayed up late and watched a creepy movie. Everytime I closed my eyes scenes from the movie popped into my head--not the most ideal circumstances when trying to fall asleep--but guess what. A miracle happened.

The next morning I woke up the minute before my alarm went off...and got up. This wasn't the end, though--I had not quite escaped the grasping reach of the insidious timewarp. I distinctly remember looking at the clock in my bathroom around 7:00. I immediately walked into my bedroom where the digital readout flashed 7:10. What? Time was speeding up in an effort to ruin my prosperous career at the Church Archives. Nevertheless, I refused to be thwarted. I hurried out the door and arrived at work without a moment to spare.

It was a long, hard, and bitter fight but as of this morning I have finally cast off the tyrannical shackles of Daylight Savings Time. I wish I could say we would never meet again but instead I must say, until next time you fiend...until next time...

3 comments:

malibumoons said...

you are hilarious. it did play some tricks on me too, but nothing like yours.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to remind you of this post in October when it gives you an extra hour of sleep and you suddenly become friends again. Be careful of DST because it holds grudges come spring.

Lohra said...

I really do hate government regulations gone manic.