Wednesday, April 09, 2008

My everything hurts.

Ever since I knew what breakdancing was I've wanted to be able to do it. I also wanted one of those wallets with a chain but I bet we're all glad THAT never happened.

The only effort I ever made to learn anything breakdance-esque was to attempt "the worm." The result was that 9 times out of 10 I looked epileptic. The other time I hurt myself. Which, if I remember correctly, means I was actually doing it right.

Well, times have changed. I'm taking a community ed breakdancing class. It's on the same night as a class called "Women Fly Solo." I'm thinking about coming back and taking that in a few years.

I'm not quite sure what I expected to learn in this class. Mostly I was looking forward to taking it with friends and laughing about how uncoordinated I am. That still happens...but we just had our second class and we've already learned how to do a couple stalls. "Stall" is an ebonics derivative that means "a sweet move where you balance precariously on weak appendages." Yeah. It hurts. My whole body is sore, my shoulders and knees are bruised, and I get out of a chair like an old woman...but, boy, was it worth it.

I was so excited that when I got home after class I promptly showed my brother...then I showed my 10-second self-timer. Not very professional but it's a small glimpse of what you'll be seeing on the streets...when it comes time to throw down...yo.

Now I just need a sweet name.

9 comments:

Chelsi Ritter said...

shweeet! i'm jealous of your stall skillz! i have an idea for a name: booya majigga....

Lohra said...

Ooh! Chels, good girl! That's a good idea.

malibumoons said...

dang girl, that's really good. you look buff. my everything would hurt too. actually i am so sore right now from yesterday's workout, but i am sure you were using muscles that I have never used.

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Great picture. I am so happy that you showed me one of your moves in person. Looking forward to your spring recital.

Jason and Abby said...

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen! I love it! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to add you to my blog :-)

Becky said...

THat's the coolest picture I've ever seen. Hey...why isn't my blog on your list of friends?.......

Mike and Emily said...

thank you for doing your job and posting something I can read at work. that is a sweet picture too. shoo, gurl.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to circle around you at the next dance and chant whatever name you come up with.

Lohra said...

Kristen...we don't do things like that in our religion...