Thursday, August 06, 2009

A/C, I've been missin' you.

Early last summer my air conditioning stopped working.

Early last summer I lost any goodwill I had toward this supposed king of seasons. When people pine after a life of endless summer I'm pretty sure they didn't have this in mind. This is something different. This is inescapable. This is death by heat rash. Improvident living. Just yesterday it was 87 degrees inside my house. IN MY HOUSE! Try to imagine what it's like to blow dry your hair in such conditions. My eminent femininity has suffered for too long. Sleep, that favored friend, weeps for the return of modern convenience. My body has never been hotter.

But today, oh today...things are different. Dry your tears! Put on your clothes! Today this was replaced:
with this:
...and now lethargy is no longer a valid excuse against household chores.

3 comments:

Stephen Anderson said...

YAY!!!!

I love A/C. It's one of my closest friends in this life. I'm thinking about marrying it if nothing better comes along.

Laura, you are the bom dot com.

rachel said...

happy day laura! happy day! you are such a writer.

Chelsi Ritter said...

oh laura, laura. i'm so happy for you! how you've suffered. heat is not easy to take; and i'm a wimp. summers in boise are brutal, and it's been rough. n-e-way, enjoy wearing clothes again!