Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The promised tribute to summer.

Summer is officially over. I'm taking 16 credits at school. I have a part-of-the-part-time job. I regularly put in 14 hour days. I take classes where the professor instructs us to "stare at the problem for awhile" in order to figure out the answer -- Calculus III not Magic Eye Books 101. Eat, sleep, repeat. Sometimes I don't even eat...sometimes I don't really sleep.

But today is not about that. No, today is about what once was. Summer.

Those lazy summer days. Hiking, reading, taking short affordable trips, complaining about the heat, going to outdoor concerts, rock climbing, watching Hulu for 6 hours a day...here are some picturesque highlights.

I went to Zion National Park and went canyoneering for the first time at Pine Creek. The water was cold, the rappels were exciting, and Baby Beluga has never been freestyled so well. I already mentioned The Flume outside of Lava Hot Springs. We went there the weekend of the 4th of July. There really is nothing like floating a river while shouting patriotic themes and trying to stand up through mild rapids.

I hiked up Brighton, Bells Canyon, and Lake Blanche. I bet you can't find me amidst all the wildflowers...or waterfall.
I went to Moab for a ward activity where I hiked Delicate Arch in flip-flops and jumped off a 15-ft. ledge into shallow water.I'm sure you've all heard of Island Park -- the place where all your dreams come true? Well I went twice. Details will be forthcoming. Rest assured that I got my picture with Mickey and rode It's A Small World at least 15 times.

Lastly I polished off the season with a trip back down to Zion to hike The Subway -- a 9 hour hike that turned into 13 hours (please promise me that if you ever go hiking you'll leave your two pairs of scissors, your machete, your poster of edible plants, and your combat boots behind). My friend invited me on her father's photo shoot not a pioneer trek. James Neeley everybody:More pictures of me everybody:So that's it. That's what I did these past 4 months. It may look like quite a bit but when the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo only takes you 3 weeks to read instead of 5 months, you can be sure that I actually had very little going on.

7 comments:

bryan said...

You've got some good pictures up there. I enjoy the outdoors myself. I hope school is going well for you!

Stephen Anderson said...

Awesome pics Laura. I can't figure out how you did the multiple Laura jumping into the water one. That's really cool!

Mike and Emily said...

Are those places REALLY in Utah? Confess. If so, you have GOT to show me where they are. I saw a whole lot of my living room this summer. Waa waaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

The Everyday Housewife said...

Compared to your summer, my summer was more of a Junie B. Jones size book. Love the pictures. Amazing! Good luck with that Calculus 3? I think I tried to cheat my way through Calculus in high school, but couldn't even figure out how to do that!!

The Everyday Housewife said...

OK, you asked for it! When do you want to come to dinner? We are having brunch this Sunday between sessions (that means breakfast casseroles and cinnamon rolls), the next Sunday I'll be in Arizona, and after that . . . the sky's the limit -- any Sunday. Let me know what's good for you. P.S. 9 Crimes?! Are you kidding me?! The only problem is, I only know 6 chords. Also, I almost cried at my guitar lesson on Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

sorry about not getting you on the boat; I never made it myself. It wasn't exactly my best summer with a 40 lb load in front.
Rob's brother Joe Bolke is in his second year of engineering too. Maybe you'll have a class with him sometime. Good Luck with school.

Chelsi Ritter said...

the subway?! i'm so jealous. you did all the things this summer that i wanted to do but couldn't. good luck with school :)