Sunday, October 04, 2009

Island Park -- Land of opportunities.

Island Park, located in Targhee National Forest, Idaho, has become something akin to a fairytale to anyone who's been there - an adventure of mystic proportions. It's spoken of in reverently hushed tones, generally followed by a moment of silent reverie. I first had the opportunity to cross into this mythical ether a couple of winters ago. We rode on sleds behind 4-wheelers, daring to perform dangerous feats of gymnastics, we played football on the frozen lake, had dance parties in the kitchen, and drank hot chocolate 'til we preferred coffee. Truly, it was magical.
I went back for another repeat winter but kept hearing rumors of something grander, something better:

SUMMER.

I wanted it. I wanted it bad...and I got it. I got it so good. An accumulated week and a half of blissfully lazy Idaho potato days.

Floating the river, reading to my heart's content, laying in the hammock...
Instead of sleds and 4-wheelers we had a trampoline and an...air burrito. The goal of which is something like this:
Not this:

Most importantly, however, I went water skiing for the first time. Slalom. Exciting stuff. I've never experienced anything that's hurt so good. I just wish someone had told me that I wasn't actually modeling for a 1980's magazine ad for ultra-slim cigarettes (Thanks Garred).Ah, Island Park. You can be sure I'll be back.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Those pictures are hilarious. I wish I could have seen that in person. :0

moonchullee said...

Ultra-slim menthol lites. You're welcome.

PS - This post is cruel.

Mike and Emily said...

Yet another place I did not heretofore know existed. Geez. I need to hang out with you more often.

The Everyday Housewife said...

Ooh! That sounds like the best vacation spot! You look like a pro in the pix!

Bethany said...

Hey! No worries, I visit your blog from time to time but never leave a comment. Its fun to see what new adventure you are on.

Yeah, the graduation and engagement kinda happened all at once ... it was a whirlwind! The wedding was wonderful and now we are trying to get him graduated as well :) ... exciting stuff.

Thanks for dropping a line!

bryan said...

did you take that second to last photo? it's especially good.

Chelsi Ritter said...

looks like paradise, laura! except for the water skiing, cause that just freaks me out.

Brittney said...

It's so pretty there, huh? It's funny: I was reading your description of your winter trip there and thinking, "You mean she hasn't been in summer?!" Then I kept reading and saw that you DID go during summer! Oh the memories...