Saturday, March 06, 2010

A princess for all mankind.

Once upon a Bible time there was a woman named Sarah who was ensured, with her husband, constellations of children - as numberless as numbers go, shining multitudes of little promises.

And so she waited.

And so she hoped.

Judging him "faithful who had promised," she looked forward. Three times the assurance was given. Ten years nothing.

Unwilling to let her husband go childless because she was childless Sarah sought a solution. Partly fulfilling the promises, she gave Abraham a second wife who bore him a son. How hard it must have been. I wonder if she felt mocked at the name - Ishmael, "God hears". I wonder if she doubted - perhaps the Lord only intended to bless Abraham after all. Perhaps she felt unworthy, forgotten, rejected.

Thirteen more years went by, Sarah now incapable of bearing children. Still no cosmic cherubs. Still no Milky Way babies. If doubt had previously failed in its siege upon her fortified heart, it must have now felt certain of victory.

Sometimes I feel as incapable as Sarah then was. Unable to find forever. Unable to overcome. And I think that, surely, there's something inside of me keeping me back. If I could just find it, if I could dig deeply enough and tear it out, I would be home free. I would "mount up with wings as eagles; [I would] run, and not be weary; and...walk, and not faint."

But these abilities are reserved only for those that "wait upon the Lord." Oh, how we must wait sometimes. More than twenty-three years of it for our protagonist. Finally, when it was past the point of probability, past the point of possibility, the Lord said to Abraham, "Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed." And, indeed, she did.

Time and time again I try to boil my problems down to a science. I ask over and over and over again, "What is wrong with me?" "What's wrong with me?" Wrong. Me. Well...I will tell you:

I. Am. Broken.

I am barren like Sarah. I cannot fulfill His promises to me. All I can do is try. Try to be worthy. Try to have faith. Try to look forward. I place my bleeding, broken, tired heart on the altar, pleading "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief"...and then I wait. I wait upon the Lord, "being fully persuaded that, what he [has] promised, he [is] also able to perform."

And then as we, like Sarah, perform all that we can to the best of our meager abilities - proving our belief through our obedience - He gives us a son, THE Son, and through him we receive the fulfillment.

"Is any thing too hard for the Lord?"

**Quoted scriptures - Hebrews 11:11, Isaiah 40:31, Genesis 17:19, Romans 4:21, Mark 9:24, Genesis 18:14

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love you and I think you are an amazing person!!! Keep that faith and trust in the Lord and everything will work out!!!!

Mike and Emily said...

Those feelings are familiar. I appreciate your articulation of them and your faith.

SHELLS BELLS! said...

There are many times that I wish I could "boil my problems down to a science." Life is tough, and yet I look forward with hope and faith. Love you

Becky said...

Laura have I ever told you you have a gift? You sure know how to write! Have you ever wanted to write a book? I'd sure love to read it if you ever write one. :) I miss you and wish we could hang out. Let's do it sometime. :)

Marilou said...

From lots and lots of experience, I have a firm testimony that if you are living right, the Lord ALWAYS has a better plan in store for you than you could figure out on your own.
We all have our own trials, and I deeply feel the emotions you wrote (quite well, by the way), just in a different context.
Thank you for sharing.

Shannon said...

I only have one word to say and it is DITTO. Ok, 2 words, the second it BRAVO for putting to words the feelings of my heart. Isn't it good to know you're not alone?

Telle said...

My friend. It is true, it is true. It is not easy, or fun. It hurts and frustrates. BUT, the Lord hears us, AND keeps HIS promises. All in due time, His time. I love you. I have admired you since the time we first met. You are a woman of strength, faith, and trust. You can overcome, and the Lord will help you. He is ALWAYS there.

A STAR is born said...

Lolo, that was beautiful.

Kristin said...

Amen and Amen. (and quit using your words to move souls, it's not fair to the rest of us less eloquent beings)

Sara said...

If you do end up tearing a body part out of yourself, please inform me first so I can provide emergency care. And if you'd like a fellow eagle to fly with you when you take off, count me in. But I'd actually rather be a perigrine falcon. Lovely post, bloggerific babe.