Monday, May 31, 2010

My internship.

It's not that complicated: I sit in a freezing cold room and search the internet for ways to present a file of a model in stereoscopic 3D. That's right. My goal this summer is to be able to stream a real-time computer simulation for a robot arm in Avatar 3D. All in the name of telepresence.

This is the huge lab.

This is the robot.
The PhD student I'm working for is transferring principles of telepresence from aerospace and nuclear applications to the industrial setting. Definition? Telepresence is like being the robot without being the robot. This can be achieved through a force feedback joystick so you can, in essence, feel what the robot feels...and apparently through 3-dimensional projected modeling. Bla bla bla, who's bored? I personally think 3D vision is an unnecessary overcomplication. It provides an initial "wow" factor without actually adding any important information to the process...besides, it gives me headaches. Did you know it basically forces you to cross your eyes in order to simulate depth from a 2-dimensional format? Like a perpetual magic eye book. Don't get me wrong, those things were cool and if you could see the hidden picture YOU were cool so at least they had important social value. 3D effects just might be overused...like as a way to sell a remake of Fern Gully meets Pocahontas jacked up on Unobtanium...or during a U2 laser show meets Windows Media Player visualizations...or when I have to write the 3D rendering myself using C++ computer programming language.

Hi. This is me.
I'm really cool.

The point is, I have no idea what I'm doing and I spend a lot of time resisting the urge to just go home (not home, home mind you) - I'm not exactly supervised, you see, and the PhD student isn't exactly inflexible. Sometimes he asks me if I'm coming in the next day...and I think, "Is it really an option not to?" So sometimes I come in at 1:00 or leave around 3:00...or both. I'm a little worried that he'll turn out to be less flexible than I assume he is (like THAT'S ever happened before). Until then, this is how I survive.

But even if I didn't have that, I would still have Germany.


Together forever. For 10 more weeks.

1 comment:

moonchullee said...

I saw Avatar and I was surprised how realistic Sigourney Weaver looked. I'm pretty sure she died about 10 years ago. Hopefully Das Robot Arm is as successful as the Power Glove for the NES. Doubtful.

You are a real Jem. Truly outrageous. Keep those Holograms jamming. (I fear that you're too young to understand any of this.)