Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Tomorrow, I leave for Europe. TOMORROW.

First stop? Cambridge, England. I'll spend three days visiting two of the happiest people I know.
Then I head to Munich, Germany - the great unknown. I did find a place to live (thank you for all of your suggestions) and am living with an old German lady. I found her through a friend of a friend who served her mission over there. So this lady is LDS...but she doesn't speak English.

Good thing I have a great phrase book to rely on. I'll be able to say things like "Is there also a hovercraft?" and, "My ears hurt, please give me something to drink," as well as, "Is there a Vedanta Society in this town?"

I know, people may start to wonder - but don't worry! This phrase book also has, "I'm a foreigner, but I'm not stupid," just in case I need to stick up for myself. I'm glad it's so useful because I can't figure out how to read the Oxford German minidictionary that my employers bought me as a going away present. Perhaps I should resort to only using facial expressions? I could really get behind that.So, my dear American friends, I will miss you...and will try to continually update you on my travels.

Auf Weidersehen!

5 comments:

Telle said...

Good-bye forever, the Laura that I know. If you should return to us, I would wish to hear your German.

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Good luck, Lohra! Have a great time and I look forward to hearing about your adventures in Europe.

The Everyday Housewife said...

Have a great trip, Laura! Hope that "hovercraft" phrase helps you out in some sticky situations. We will miss you!

Unknown said...

Oh man... I didn't even get to say goodbye. How adventurous. Keep us posted. I'll miss you by the pool. If the sun will ever come out this year.

Chelsi Ritter said...

please, please try to use the phrase, "is there also a hovercraft?" while you're out there. and then blog about it :)
i'm so excited to hear about all your adventures!!