Friday, July 02, 2010

The Everyday.

It feels like it's been awhile. I'm sorry. It turns out even I'm getting tired of travelogues. There are definitely some stories I need to tell but they require pictures, which I haven't gotten yet. I'm working on it. I am. I haven't forgotten about you.

So, the everyday - I wake up around 10, I go to work, depending on how quickly I get stuck I stay for awhile or I don't. If I leave early, I will try to get together with a friend who teaches until 1:30. Or I wander around for awhile in the city by myself until I head to the church for FHE or institute or Thursday night soccer or Friday night activity. I go home as late as possible. I travel on the weekends. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I spend a lot of time on the bus or the train, which means I spend a lot of time reading or listening to music. Sometimes...I practice saying German words under my breath...and then I laugh at how crazy I must look. I only know how to say ridiculous things like: "you're crazy" or "who do you think you are?" or "legit" or the word "ridiculous," but I want to make sure I'm saying those things correctly.

Work is still the same - way hard and way boring. I have assumed that it doesn't really matter if I take a day off here or there...so when the bus drove by on a Friday morning and didn't pick me up, I decided to stay home and watch the Germany and USA World Cup matches instead or when the missionaries and my friend were going down to Neuschwanstein one Monday, I joined them. This weekend I am going to Schwarzwald - The Black Forest - and I thought, "Switzerland is only 40 minutes away, perhaps I'll stay Monday and see it!" So I finally asked my supervisor if it was ok...I've never loved my job more. He doesn't even want advance notice.

Living in a foreign country, never having to work, and getting paid for it. It could only be more perfect if I had a better living situation - which I'll get to later.

Munich is great. At first I kind of saw it as just another big city...with a way awesome downtown, but I love it here. The city center has become dotted with fruit stands and people playing live music - good music! I'm not talking about yet another homeless guy with a harmonica or some Asian kid with a karaoke machine. People cart out pianos to play quartets and stuff.

I have a million pictures of the Neue Rathaus because every time I see it, it strikes me as picturesque. Churches fill up the skyline. Parks are everywhere. Things are happening - one night there were free orchestra and opera concerts; another night it was big band music, old people dancing, and little shops in the Residenz plaza; for the whole of this month there's some super Indie craft/international food/music festival. I actually kind of know my way around and I haven't yet felt unsafe.

Some days I don't think 3 months will be long enough.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

I am so glad you are having a great time. You are right...the street music is amazing!

Kristin said...

Where'd you get all that money?!?

The Beckstroms said...

Your job sounds like anyones dream job and reminds me of my job when I interned in D.C. I took off whenever, except this is way more sweet because you are in EUROPE!! Love seeing all the great pics!!