Sunday, March 27, 2011

Everything is about to change.

The end of an era has come. In 4 months time my family, as I know it, will be gone -- changed forever by the face of one who doesn't yet belong.

My sister is engaged.
I am the second oldest of 8 unmarried kids and have often wondered how a newcomer would change our family dynamics. Naturally, I'm skeptical...and maybe a little protective of this family I adore so much. I'm trying to be open and supportive, but mostly I feel like this:

You can't have her.

Yes, yes, I am happy for her. Of course I am. Theoretically I can't wait until we're all married. In practice, however, I don't like the idea of having to share her with anyone else's family. Not at all. Call me selfish but bears eat beets. It's the truth.

Admittedly, it's also a little strange to think that my 19-year-old sister knows more about love and successful relationships than I, in my recently budding 28-year-old-ness, have had the opportunity to learn. But don't think that I'm struggling with some ummarried-older-sister complex. Or an overuse-of-hyphens complex. I always knew it would happen this way.

So three cheers for Kathryn! Three cheers for officially becoming an aunt someday! (I'm getting tired of scavenging other people's children, you see.) Three cheers for another James in the family! (I will really need to figure out how to pluralize that name... Your James or our James? Both James'sss''ss's's'sss's.) And...three cheers for me! (This blog isn't about anyone else, after all.)

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Yay for Kathryn! It will be so different (but good) to have a brother-in-law. Of course you can still be Aunt Laura to Esther even after they have kids. :)

Kristin said...

Three cheers for Laura!

Allison said...

I felt exactly the same way when my first sibling got married. I slept in the same bed with her the night before her wedding day and cried and cried. It's really hard seeing the family you have all your childhood memories with change and realize you're not little kids anymore. But don't worry...it all works out and ends up being the more the merrier. :)

Ange said...

Your posts always make me smile. . . except when it's about serious stuff. :) I L-O-V-E your perspective on things. Congrats to all of you. I hope it's a smooth transition. :)

Melinda said...

Hip hip hooray! Tell Kathryn congrats, and good luck with that new pesky brother business. :)

Anonymous said...

When James asked permission to wed my daughter, I made him promise that Kathryn would still spend all major holidays with us. Her inlaws get MLK day and President's Day and maybe an occasional St. Patricks. So things won't be too different except that we an extra person to paintball with join in on other sordid adventures.

bryan said...

You may call me a wierdo, but I laughed out loud at that 'hyphens' comment. It could be the funniest thing I've ever read on your blog.

Katherine Lewis said...

I like the way "anonymous", or your father thinks! Lay the ground rules down now and let him know how things are going to work. It's not all about being fair and spending equal time with both families.

Looks like someone needs to read 'Who Moved My Cheese'!

MIss you!

Chelsi Ritter said...

my younger bro was married years before i was, and it was a little weird. but being an aunt is awesome! good luck laura!