Sunday, October 16, 2011

I am, however, an artist.

An indie artist. As soon as I figure out what to call myself, I'll start producing cds.

I really have always wanted to be in a band, but there have been two major setbacks which have kept me from achieving this dream: stage fright and very limited musical talent. My friend and I accidentally tried out for a garage band once. I was handed a bass guitar -- which I had never touched before -- and was told to improvise. Um...what just happened?

This same friend and I have been preparing for the elusive day by trading band name ideas back and forth. She always hated mine. Optik Slander?! It's cool, right?

We played once as Smitten Kitten (her idea) at her golden birthday party. We were a one night wonder.
Some of our other ideas have been: New Normal, Amazing Bacon, and Atomic Orange. Forboden was an option if we were going to do a techno, happy remake of Du Hast.

I'm reminiscing about this because another friend of mine is getting married Saturday and she asked me to put together a cd of loooooove songs for the wedding favor. For some charitable reason I don't fully understand, I decided it would be fun to record a song for it with her brother who plays the piano and sings like a sexy, sexy man. So we did. I present to you our remake of Can't Help Falling in Love:



I had so much fun with the microphone I borrowed that I recorded another song of my own. Careful by Guster:



In your face, chimera, I'm going solo! (...want to be in my band, Stef?)

9 comments:

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Whoa! I better get an invite to be a band member.

Sara said...

Me too. I can have a sexy sexy voice like my brother. (What exactly does that sound like for a girl?) It's a mix between an alto and soprano. Count me in for hitting notes between middle C and the A above that.

Lohra said...

Yes, you two, absolutely. We can be a girl's punk band. I've always wanted an excuse to wear torn fishnets. Sara, do you think you could learn an instrument? We need a bass player.

Allison said...

Beautiful, Lohra. Seriously.

Josie said...

Hey now! How about me? I have access to a flute and a strange instrument from Cambodia! And, I am really good at making strange noises with my mouth! NO, really, beautiful! When I heard about this song, I was so excited - I didn't even know you could sing! Hmm - why do I feel I have revealed too much and not listened enough? And, btw, Sara could totally pick up an instrument, probably in a day, who are we kidding? :)

jo said...

Laura, you are full of surprises! And good ones. Glad I'm getting my own copy.

Becky said...

you're amazing, Laura! :)

Kristin said...

Adorationable.

bryan said...

Hey, that was really good! You should keep it up.