Sunday, January 29, 2012

Missionary James.

My little brother went into the Missionary Training Center this week. My parents and older brother flew out with him in order to drop him off. James stayed just long enough to finish the 2,000 piece puzzle I started and then he was gone. To Benin (ultimately). Despite earlier doubts we've realized that it really does exist. On this planet.
Sending someone off on a mission is a bit eulogistic. Which might be somewhat appropriate in this case. Do you know what lives in Africa? Nile crocodiles. And Honey Badger.
Though James is the sort of fellow who could walk safely between the jaws of a yawning hippopotamus without knowing he was in any sort of danger. No matter where we go he will find trouble and come out unscathed. He's survived being swept down the Salmon in a one-person ducky, almost getting run over in the streets of London, and being washed out to sea in the Gulf of Mexico. On the same Salmon River trip, James was trying to swim into an eddy behind a rock - which he did just fine - but his lackadaisical efforts at getting back to shore just didn't cut it. Downriver he went (again). When my dad and our guide caught up with him, he told them something along the lines of, "I thought it was time I became a man." He was 12. 
I don't think I'm qualified to say this but...welcome to manhood, James. Good luck out there.

6 comments:

Katherine Lewis said...

Sweet puzzle. I wish that I could have sat with you for hours, putting it together.

Oh, and good luck to your brother. Sounds like he's going to need it with all them honey badgers and stuff.

Come to Charlottesville soon! It's a lot closer than Cambridge and you came there.

Kristin said...

James is so big! When did he grow up?

Unknown said...

What great stories about your bro. He is a cute guy with a pretty great sister. Heard you taught an interesting RS lesson but didn't hear the subject. Ours was on charity - same stuff but still inspired me to think of others more - sometimes my insulation in the house is suffocating! Guess I'd better get outside, eh?

Unknown said...

sorry about the unknown stuff - don't know how to change it - unknown is Judy in Glenwood

Katherine Lewis said...

I remembered something as I was trying to fall asleep last night, but couldn't.

I went to high school with the princess of Benin, or so she claimed. We were actually really good friends. I could never pronounce her last name correctly, but she never hated me for it.

Maybe Pamela Guiolsfjdslfjsl? is there and he can find her.

Lohra said...

At first I thought you were recounting a dream...and then I realized you are serious and you actually did. Of course you did. You were probably equestrians together.