Friday, February 22, 2008

An addendum.

Remember how I hate being in charge? Just a couple weeks ago I was released from my calling as an Activities Committee Co-Chair...which may or may not have contributed to that post of January 31.

I was well aware that I would be released. My year was up and changes were being made in the ward. So I took the opportunity to put in a few requests…ok, I pleaded for mercy. You see, there was one assignment I had an inkling I might get...and I would rather be pushed into an icy lake filled with um, robot piranhas.
In fact, the two circumstances aren't that different.

The moment I walked into the bishop’s office, my eyes scanned the white board for the dreaded heading...and there it was with my picture, turned horizontally as if in question, my face smiling almost mockingly back at me. By the time the counselor in the bishopric got around to extending the calling, I had resigned myself to my fate.

I am a Gospel Doctrine Teacher.

My debut is tomorrow.

Every time I think about it I get nervous. Don't think I'm looking for validation, though. I am fully confident that my lesson would astound even the best scriptorian. I'm merely concerned that, frozen in the stare of 24 pairs of predacious eyes, I'll...be eaten alive.

7 comments:

Chelsi Ritter said...

this seems to be a fear in 95% of mormon people's lives. i had the same experience several years ago at byu and thought, "i will do ANYTHING but be gospel doctrine teacher..." and of course that's what i was called to be. here's something cool, though. you know how most of the time when you go to class you don't listen and your head is off in the clouds? well when i taught i found that most people do that, not just me, so i could say a lot of stuff and noone really cared. it was cool. you'll be great, laura!

Brittney said...

I was scared and nervous to teach, too, considering I had never taught in church, period. But, Gospel Doctrine Teacher actually turned out to be my favorite calling so far. Just remember that the Spirit is the real teacher, and that will take a lot of the pressure off. I'm waiting to hear how it went!

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Your lesson astounded this scriptorian. Well done.

Hoopswim said...

No worries... I'm sure Elder Hales er Nelson has got your back. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think the hardest thing would be the random comments that are totally off topic. I always feel bad for teachers who have to recover after one of those. Best o luck!

bryan said...

Be glad you're not called to be an FHE mom, or seminary teacher. Yes, on my list of crappy callings, I don't think that I would rank gospel doctrine up there near the top. How did the debut go by the way?

Kristen said...

I think my sunday school activity potential just skyrocketed.