Thursday, April 02, 2009

The strangest thing...

I have two jump drives. At first it seemed like one too many but since those youthfully ignorant days I have found them unusually convenient. I leave one in my purse and keep the other one in my backpack. The ability to transfer files is always at my fingertips...well, that is...until today.

Today I wanted to convert some pictures from a file type I cannot use on my computer to one I can. Don't worry, that's as much tech-speak as you'll be getting from me today. So I brought my extra jump drive to school to make the ever important conversion...and spaced it completely. I left it there. A thing I didn't realize until I got home at 5:00 to 10 emails from a false email address under a false name generously sending me all the files from it (which I originally thought was a virus). I greatly appreciated it until I read this:

"Sorry i couldnt get the drive back to you but at least you have the files"

and later this:

"Next time be more careful about leaving your stuff around. Most people wouldn't even be nice enough to send you your files."

I'm sorry. What? "COULDN'T get the drive back to you." Couldn't. As if it magically dissipated. As if there was a group of them conspiring to keep it and he so Reuben-esquely suggested to spare my life. He even set up an account on MediaFire, a free file hosting website, to make sure I got everything. When I tried to write him back to say thanks and "Uh, what exactly happened to my jump drive," the email address was no longer valid. It would have taken him less of an effort to just give me my property back. What do jump drives cost these days? Like $20? I mean, he must have been seriously hurting for some portable data storage.

Yes...I know I should be grateful. I am very glad to have not lost any files, but what's the deal with this faux-generosity, this posturing at integrity, this cowardly attempt to protect his weaseling identity?

So far it's just served to make me really angry.

10 comments:

The Everyday Housewife said...

You know what would be really funny! If you ended up marrying the guy (not knowing who the jerk really was of course) and then find your drive in his backpack someday after the wedding has already taken place. Wouldn't that be creepy?! Very strange that he wouldn't just get in touch with you and return it!!

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Creepy and weird. I love that he used the name Jon Bytheway-classic.

Mike and Emily said...

Beneficent DIRT BAG!!!! Seriously, though, you have to wonder what supposedly rational thought patterns go through peoples pea-sized brains! The nerve! The audacity! The INHUMANITY!!! (and really, I'm not joking...I'm full and fuming with justified RAGE!!!) Maybe I'm just an angry person....

The Everyday Housewife said...

I think an annulment would definitely be called for!

A STAR is born said...

That is seriously weird. He either a) really wanted to teach you a complicated lesson, b) loved your jump drive a lot because it was so pretty but felt guilty about stealing it, or c) he, like I do sometimes, purposely aggravated you so that you would be forced to use beautiful, big words like "posturing"

Sigh. Oh how I love the words.

Mighty Mel said...

How'd he get your email address? And like everyone said, since he had your email address, why couldn't he just let you know where to meet him, or for that matter, why didn't he just put in lost and found? Someone's gotta say it... this is what you get for going to the U!

Dad said...

I have your flash drive. I know where you live. And I know what you did last summer. Boo.

Kaydi Paxman said...

Check the security cameras and find the dirtbag. That's what Scott says and I second it.

bryan said...

I think that's really funny. Maybe he just has a funky sense of humor?

Anonymous said...

I'm very creeped out right now and it didn't even happen to me.