Saturday, March 28, 2009

What you've all been waiting for.

I was going to write a post about how I usually don't complain about being sick but that I came down with a cold our last day in Ireland...and have now been sick for two whole weeks...and I'm beginning to realize why my brother constantly updates us on his health via Facebook...until I figured out that I've only been back from my trip for one week. Sick = one measly, non-pitiable week.

Therefore, I shall post pictures of Ireland. Highlights include a quick trip into Paris (the Opera House, walk by the Louvre, the Seine, a ham and cheese baguette), hiking the great Sugarloaf mountain, Dublin for St. Patty's Day, a brief jaunt into Northern Ireland, kissing the Blarney Stone--which, incidentally, is what I think made me sick. Do you know how many people have planted their lips on that thing?--other sundry castles, taking a prohibited picture in the library of Trinity College, an eternal quest for traditional music, visiting Cobh--the last stop of the Titanic, and spotting a rainbow--an authentic, no pot o' gold at the end, rainbow.

Everything about Ireland was quaint. Quaint little towns with cute, colorful pubs and Mary Poppins chim-chim-ineys. Quaint rolling green farmland with stone walls and hedgerows. Sheep. Accents. Narrow roads. Castles. Quaint. Everyone was super friendly and no one used the "th" sound. Tree tousand...tirty-tree...you get the picture. So...that's what I did for my spring break...beats henna tattoos and cover charges any day.
This was a cool mystical park in Northern Ireland. Rumor has it that C.S. Lewis loved it. He's from Belfast, you know. We're trying to fit in...as gargoyles. I won't even begin to describe how difficult it was to get down from up there.After the St. Patrick's Day parade the streets were just FILLED with people for a good few hours afterwards...then the bars started filling up. By the way, we found out that they don't actually pinch people if they're not wearing green. Some sort of weird, frisky American tradition.Blarney Castle.Cobh.Rainbow.Quaint.

11 comments:

The Everyday Housewife said...

How in the world did you get up there to be "gargoylish?" Let alone, get down!! The trip looks fantastic! I'm so sorry you got sick though. I've heard the Blarney Stone does that to people. Get better soon!!

Becky said...

I have one word: AWESOME! And 3 more words: I wanna go! :)

krispy said...

Hooray for Ireland! Hooray for the Shearers! Your photography is breath taking. What are those bodies of water? Motes?

Mike and Emily said...

Darn those frisky Americans....looks beautiful. I'm green with envy. Pun intended.

Lindsey said...

Think of your getting sick from the Blarney Stone as a lasting momento from your trip!!! Looks fun!

Corinne said...

Looks amazing! Glad you had a great time and I hope you get the luck of the irish and get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Probably the most memorable St. Pat's day you'll ever have!

Chelsi Ritter said...

laura did you love it? isn't ireland amazing? if you like the quaintness, you should come and visit us sometime. i loved the photos! thanks for posting them.

The Beckstroms said...

Hooray for Ireland! I say we keep working on the accent, we will eventually get it! Great pictures, it looks like you had a great time, and it was fun to hear about your trip. I am a little disappointed by the lack of Irish flags...there were TONS when we went. The pics make me miss your fam too!

bryan said...

How many red beards did you see there? It seems like no trip to Ireland would be complete without a good red beard to top it off.

Heidi said...

Awesome trip! And cute pictures!