Sunday, October 18, 2009

Everything is illuminated in the light of the past.

I went to Washington D.C. recently and was filled with new-found respect and admiration for the founders of this, the United States. For colonists who had the strength to win independence from a king and grant us popular sovereignty and, with it, popular responsibility. For people who, though imperfect, stood up for freedom and human dignity. For men who had respect and admiration for God; who built our nation on ideas of religious principles; who placed religious freedom first in the First Amendment of the Constitution.
The 'separation of church and state' was never about quashing religion - any religion, but avoiding one that was federally mandated - a repeat Church of England.

On the wall of his memorial building, Thomas Jefferson is quoted thus: "God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever."

Let's go back to the days when freedom OF religion didn't mean freedom FROM religion; when "an opinion is no more disqualified for being ‘religious’ than for being atheistic, or psychoanalytic, or Marxist, or just plain dumb;" when the people of this nation stood behind the phrase, "In God We Trust." I don't pretend to know much about political justice or the rhetoric of what's termed political justice now, but I will pretend to care. Let's go back.

Let's bring it back.

I highly recommend this talk by Elder Oaks given just 5 days ago: Religious Freedom. Taste it, love it, crave it.

7 comments:

Ashlee said...

I can't believe you came to DC and didn't look me up! Granted it's been a couple of years but didn't you know I stalk you via blog? Sad. Don't let it happen again! :)

Candice said...

I had another friend post that talk last week. I just loved it. I also love having like minded friends. Great post.

Chelsi Ritter said...

i just read that talk a couple days ago, and it was awesome. i fear for this country and the day when god is completely denied as having anything to do with it and it's freedoms. i also get tired of religious people being portrayed as eccentric and extreme in the media. what does it say in the scriptures? the day will come when wrong will be right, and right will be wrong (i know that's way off but you get my drift).
also, the founding fathers are so inspiring. and what's so inspiring to me is that (as you said) they were imperfect men (except for john adams, my favorite), but they were united in the common cause and understanding of freedom and it's importance, which to me confirms how important and amazing the constitution truly is, and that the country was founded the way it was. okay, my book is over. the end! awesome post, laura. and i know john adams wasn't perfect, but he was pretty close.

Chelsi Ritter said...

oh yeah, i'm a huge fan of john's. you should read "john adams" by david mccullough. it's soooo good, laura, and such a great account of u.s. history. it's so much better and more accurate than the hbo miniseries. i'm so on your bandwagon!

Mighty Mel said...

Um, why didn't you ever come visit DC when I lived there?

Lohra said...

You're right...you're all right, and I'm sorry. It turns out I only travel for weddings and Christmas.

Melinda said...

Great post Lorha! I also really liked the IP post and the tribute to summer- I miss it(summer and the great "Park") already and didn't even go to Island Park this summer!