Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Redemption!

Ladies and gentlemen, the moment we've all been waiting for!

May I present to you...my summer plans...

And this:


And hopefully a whole lot of this:

On March 10, I found out that I was accepted for a research internship in Munich, Germany. I've been paired up with a Ph.D. student who is studying over there and will be helping him out with his research for the summer. Really, all summer. I would have written about all of this sooner but it's taken me this long to understand what it is I'll actually be doing (plus, I wanted to remind people that it was my birthday for as long as decorum allowed...and then some).

This is what I think I will be doing: this student's research involves telepresence assembly (being there without really being there). Robots perform certain tasks that we humans are incapable of doing, e.g., going into volcanoes, lifting extremely heavy objects, understanding the difference between first cousins and second cousins once removed...BUT they lack the tactile and sensory response we have SO I will be pretending to work on improving that feedback loop while really just touring Europe on their dime. Though I do have to pay for living expenses...so it'll be on the federal government's dime. Yes I can!

What's redeeming about this? Two weeks in Italy after my internship is over. Two birds, one awesome stone.

I leave a month from today and I still don't have a place to live. The student I'm doing research for is supposed to find me housing but if it were you, would you trust this guy?
Right, so...uh...no one happens to have a best friend who happens to live in Munich, do they?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I suggest looking on craigslist

Marilou said...

I have a friend here in my ward who served a mission in Germany, but it was in Berlin, so not even close. But I asked her and she recommended contacting the institute there-she said they are pretty good about having resources to give you as far as that is concerned. You could also look on the church website and find the ward closest to where you will be living (she said there is usually at least one english speaking ward in each big city) and maybe contact the bishop...she also said if you need any help translating things, she would be glad to help.
Any way, I'm excited for you, I hope you have an awesome experience!

Corinne said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Justin will be so jealous!!! That will be such a great opportunity.

I am not sure if J knows anyone in Munich but I could ask.

YAY again!

SHELLS BELLS! said...

You're going to drink beer and eat pretzels? Interesting.
Congrats, Lohra! I sent an email to my friend living in Germany but she hasn't responded.

Shannon said...

Ah hah ha ha...I am so glad you posted the picture of him. That just made my day. (Yes, it happens to be a super boring work day, but you're funny none the less.)

Kristin said...

FYI: I will be coming up with some really great German jokes and harrassing you for the next month.

A STAR is born said...

ROBOTS.
Don't ever correct me about your course of study again.

Katherine Lewis said...

Wahoo! I'm so excited for the summer that awaits you...but mostly excited that those plans include coming to visit me in Cambridge. I am sitting on your guest bed as I write this. Get ready for an AWEsome weekend.

I just sent you an email with ideas about housing in Germany....the ideas involve Adam Nilsen. I hope something works out for you.

I can't wait!

Jill said...

WOOOOO!!! Lucky! :D

Mike and Emily said...

WOW! THAT is AMAZING!!! When will you be back? I really do want to have you for dinner....Mike has been in finals so we haven't really been eating dinner...but I REALLY would like to see yer lovely face sometime!

Sunny6556 said...

I would just like to note that you will finally get the chance to go to Italy which you were complaining about in one of your previous posts. So now you will have achieved scholastica and get to go to Italy. That is soooo much better.