Saturday, October 20, 2007

Winter is upon us.

It is cold...and dark...and almost impossible for me to get up in the morning.

As luck would have it, two of my coworkers are gone. Audrey is moving to New York and Gaylen, my toupee wearing, snowsuit loving coworker, is participating in the annual beet harvest--yes, folks, it's a real thing. Of course this means we have to pick up all their extra circulation hours. Not that I'm complaining. Times like these are my moments to shine.

There are a few things to look forward to when daylight hours are few and you walk around your house wearing 5 blankets because you're too cheap to turn up the heat: snow and everything associated with it (snowball fights, snow football, snow angels, sledding, skiing, and hot chocolate); sharing those 5 blankets with someone else--I include this merely for the sake of everyone else who has someone to share with; Christmas and everything associated with it (Halloween, Thanksgiving, music, lights, presents, families...); and finally, peppermint ice cream.

Peppermint is my favorite kind of ice cream, but it only comes out once a year. In my rememberance of days long past, my love for peppermint ice cream began with the Schwan's food truck. For those of you not familiar with this practice, Schwan's is like the ice cream truck plus real food and minus the annoying jingle. So actually, it's not really like the ice cream truck at all--you order food and they deliver it. I guess it's more like, a grocery store catalog on wheels. I digress.

In the spirit of some things winter, I splurged and bought Dreyer's peppermint ice cream this weekend. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed. All that I require is an abundance of peppermint pieces and Dreyer's did not deliver. In an attempt to find the best peppermint ice cream there is, I'm soliciting the help of you, my dear faithful blogging companions and advocates. Rise to the call. Don't think "problem," think "opportunity." Give me reviews or give me death.

5 comments:

Kaydi Paxman said...

And this my friend is why I love you!!! I spent hours last winter trying to find good peppermint ice cream, it's my absolute fave but alas it was not to be found. My favorite is Dreyer's peppermint but I swear they didn't make any last year. I hope to not be disappointed again this winter.

Lohra said...

Maybe if I fly to Oregon soon I'll bring some in my carry-on. ;)

Dreyer's is really your favorite?

SHELLS BELLS! said...

And I thought I knew you. I too love Peppermint ice cream, especially Schwan's!

Greg Sun said...

Hi Laura. You don't know me and I don't know you, but I stumbled upon this blog of yours and think you are an excellent writer. I now have another post to look forward to, in addition to Carly Johnston's hilarious blog.

Keep up the good work.

-Greg

Bethany said...

Hi Laura!

So great to reconnect ... yeah I am sort of doing architecture (not an architect by ANY MEANS) and I like it ... most of the time. Its nice to be back in school and learning some interesting things. I am a TA for an Anthro class tho - World Archaeology and we talk about arch. a lot in my historic preservation classes - can't quite get away from it and that is just fine. Don't want a career in archaeology, but I like that all my interests seem to intersect each other. My advice on all of this job/school stuff is don't be afraid to stretch and make a move (physical, emotional, academically) and start a-new. Its hard but extremely exciting. Lets talk more about life - ok!