Monday, December 31, 2007

Ah, I don't know.

...New Years Eve. What's the point? Another excuse for a party I don't want to go to? I'm supposed to make resolutions I know I'm going to break and spout off empty claims about how this year is going to be that much better than the last. I have to come up with an escape route so I don't have to kiss someone I don't care for or don't know and then pretend like I really wanted to but somehow never got the chance. "That's odd, what WAS I doing at midnight? Oh well. Next year maybe." It's either that or admitting I don't kiss people out of obligation...unless of course we're dating.

You're counting down to something very few people are really anticipating. New Years Day is just another day but with a different ending. What's with the build-up? Are people really that excited for a new year? It just means rewriting checks for the next few months because you habitually wrote '07 instead of '08. You don't get candy, you don't get to dress up, you can't have a barbeque, you don't get presents. You get the day off...which (unless you work for the government) makes it better than...Flag Day.

Have I lost the spirit of the new year? Am I bitter because I never could keep goals very well? Do I dislike New Years because I don't have someone special to smooch? To this I reply, perhaps...but perhaps not. Can you lose something you never really had? Shouldn't you attempt improvement every day of your life? Would having someone special make kissing for mere tradition less frivolous? Do we really need an excuse?

I do like sparkling grape juice. I also enjoy banging pots together.

Um, Happy New Years.

7 comments:

Stephen Anderson said...

Are you kidding me?? Laura! Your blog has several holes:

1. People don't write checks anymore. That's what plastic is for.

2. Who says you can't get dressed up?

3. Kissing is fun.

4. You can't have a barbeque? Who are you? I think we should dispell the myth that you can't dress up and have BBQs and ENJOY LIFE unless it's some crazy occasion.

5. You're only, what, 24? Beautiful girls like you don't technically have the right to be so negative. You're not allowed to be such a bump-on-a-log until you're at least 60 and still single... and old... and still living with your parents.

Now I want you to clean up your act, put this all behind you and write another, happier blog. And I mean happy!

It's kind of wierd to see the words "mean" and "happy" right next to eachother. HAPPY NEW YEAR LAURA!! YEAY!!!!!!!!

Brittney said...

I didn't even worry about the kissing part last night because our party was all engaged people! Yaay! Funny thing is, they didn't kiss each other, either. Weird. Oh, well.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, we ignored New Years all together since my husband was working and the little one and I went to bed early. Imagine my surprise when I tried to go to Costco the next day and couldn't because it was closed. I'm with you. Who really celebrates New Years anyway? Try explaining what everyone's so excited about to a toddler.

A STAR is born said...

BAH HUMBUG!

Anonymous said...

Should I be taking offense, you were with me that night? Eh...nahh..I totally felt/feel the same about New Years. Anyway, love the blog, I think I'll become a regular.

Oh yeah, and sorry I had to put you to shame in California speed, more than once. :)

Alison said...

I think New Years is only fun for little kids who get to stay up late. Its a novelty for them. Personality I embrace my 11pm bed time.

Anonymous said...

LO-LO You're alive!! Thanks for the visit because now I can enjoy your blog at my really boring job that gives me plenty of time to work hard...or just surf the internet and read funny things like your last post.