Thursday, October 09, 2008

Man, things have gotten lame lately!

I’m not quite sure who cast a pall and a shadow over my clumsily constructed card house. I’m not sure how I ended up neck deep in the grave of my confused conscience—you know, the one boiling everything down to shovelfuls of “you’re not good enough.” I don’t know why I’ve found myself so desperately needy and left so desperately wanting…but I am…and I don’t want to be anymore.

In the midst of bereaving the loss of myself, I remembered the oft-reached conclusion that despite my shortcomings and my shortgoings, I deserve happiness. I deserve the fruit from a golden orchard. I deserve a shining platter of sunsets. I deserve the rolling hills of laughter and the harmony riding in the wind. I am not referring to something I’ve earned as a mere creature that breathes. Instead, I speak of an expectation or, more accurately, an opportunity to create a platter from a plate and an orchard from a seed.

I may only be capable of achieving incrementally for now; but as I gain pieces of sublime happiness, squinty-eyed and smiling, I will hold them up to the brilliance of the sun until as a coiling flame they consume my heart and feed on the veil that covers it.

I passed a man on campus awhile ago who, in all the wisdom of his years, was telling his granddaughter never to be ashamed to work for money. I passed him before he could add what I hoped would be a caveat about the mob and strip clubs. Nevertheless, I have since (tried to) take his advice to heart. I am doing something with my life. Perhaps I’m taking a longer, somewhat indirect, and more expensive route than you would have chosen but I am not you. I am the best in you and I will conquer the worst in me.

I am an eagle. I am a queen. I am captain.

I was made in the image of a God. I am power and wisdom. I am beauty and love. I am a daughter and a sister. I am a leader, a follower, a friend. I am a promise and a hope.

So help me, I will be happy too.

13 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

What a beaUtiful picture of you! You can do it! You're amazing!

SHELLS BELLS! said...

You are a writer Laura. I think you should double major in engineering and English.

moonchullee said...

This is, I think, the best thing you've written. At least of what I've read. And it's the best blog entry I've read this year. Wait, ever.

And I agree with you.

The Everyday Housewife said...

I was so hoping that I was going to have an original comment . . . but it appears that everyone else agrees . . . Girl, you can write!! I really think that may be your calling in life. The way you put words together . . . WOW!! You are amazing. Did I use enough . . . for ya! Ha! Ha! I miss you, Laura! Come over for dinner!!

malibumoons said...

I was excited to see all your posts. You are hilarious as usual. What are you going back to school for?

Lindsey said...

I know everyone else has said it, but you really are an amazing writer!!! Hope all is well with life and that you find that happiness you are searching.

Sara said...

You

Sara said...

are

Sara said...

an

Sara said...

amazing

Sara said...

writer

Sara said...

and

Sara said...

eagle.