Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Confessions of a tortured soul.

It took me a long time to be a normal kid. I didn't wear my hair in a ponytail until my Sophomore year of high school, makeup didn't come until college, and I still struggle with a mild stutter. In the midst of such stunted progress I somehow managed to do what all the cool kids do their Senior year of high school: go to Cancun for Spring Break.

I was a little wary, of course. It wasn't really my scene...but I was not going to let that stop me. Instead, I felt the need to do a little preparatory work. You know, as a deterrent to death. The weird thing is my parents were ok with it. More than ok--it was their idea. I mean, who was I fooling? We all know what happens there...you get a tan.

So I did it. I subjected my body to the harshness of man-made UV's. Ten times. I'll admit, there's something soothing about it. The smell of baking flesh. The timed warmth of your plastic coffin. Those cool Star Trekky goggles... It's not like I put a playboy bunny sticker on my hip.

Nope. Instead, I went to Cancun and got a henna tattoo. One blazing sun around my navel.

...and I wore really skimpy clothes. Oh the frivolous days of youth.

9 comments:

Shannon said...

Sweet! Looks like your friend loves me...she got MY name tramp stamped on her!

Kaydi Paxman said...

I'm still waiting to see pics of the real skimpy clothes. And how come I've never noticed you stutter?

Lohra said...

It's possible that the stutter was slightly contrived...

Telle said...

I agree with Kaydi...what skimpy clothes? And that tatoo! I would have never believed it! But there's the proof!

Mike and Emily said...

You are a hussy...a brazen hussy. Tattoos...bathing suits...what's next????!?!?!

A STAR is born said...

Oh. My. Gosh.
I will never get over the fact that you just posted a picture of your freaking STOMACH on the internet. I've never even seen it! I, who have worked tirelessly to get you to flaunt that little body, am picking my jaw up off the floor.

Who are you? What have you done with Lolo?

The Beckstroms said...

Laura- I e-mailed my friend who was basically our tour guide when I was there. He is awesome and knows the ropes! I don't know if the e-mail address I have still works, but I will let you know. I will give it to you also, just so you have it too: darrensheils@hotmail.com
I will look at the info. you sent me and we'll chat soon!

The Beckstroms said...

Lohra...I just wanted to make sure that you got in contact with Darren and got the info. you needed. Truly, he is the one who knows Ireland best and travel times to places, etc. I asked Hailey for input, and she wasn't sure what would be best. Let me know if it's all planned, if you need more ideas, I will look at my Ireland scrapbook and see what I can do!

Anonymous said...

I love that you consider a full piece bathing suit "skimpy".