Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Oh Mr. Moon.

Remember childhood? I don't. Not really anyway. Recently I was asked if I was a bossy older sister...and I didn't really have an answer. Whether it's because I naturally think the best of myself or because I honestly had no recollection I cannot say. So I polled my brothers and sisters. Granted, I told them that if they said yes I would rip their faces off so their answers may have been a little skewed...

Nevermind that.

There's this song my mom used to sing when I was young and I absolutely loved it. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized what the song was actually saying:

"Oh Mr. Moon, Moon, bright and shiny moon,
won't you please shine down on me.
Oh Mr. Moon, Moon, bright and shiny moon,
there's a man behind the tree.
There's a man behind you with a big shotgun!
Your life's in danger so you better run.
Oh Mr. Moon, Moon, bright and shiny moon,
won't you please shine down on me."

Yeah...can you imagine? I can't believe it didn't give me nightmares. Maybe it didn't because it's a little unclear as to what's really happening. Is the scary man coming after me, the harmless little child mothers sing this song to? Is he shooting the moon? Is he playing hearts? What's going on here?

I don't know...but I do know it's not going to stop me from singing it to my children someday.

"Oh Mr. Moon, Moon..." Creeeeeeepy.

14 comments:

The Everyday Housewife said...

OK! That is officially the creepiest children's go to bed song I've ever heard. What's the tune? I'd like to threaten my kids with it if they're being bad!

Lohra said...

The next time I'm over I'll volunteer to put the kids to bed. :)

Mike and Emily said...

I've realized that about several childhood songs that we used to sing or that babysitters used to sing, etc. What is with childhood and creepy, subliminally traumatizing songs? SERiously....

The Beckstroms said...

I love that song! LOL...But yea, it does have a creepy ring to it. I do sing it to Caroline however.

A STAR is born said...

So what was the verdict on whether or not you were bossy? You got so sidetracked by the Tale of the Moonlight Massacre.

A STAR is born said...

PS Either SPAM is getting smarter, or I'm getting dumber...because those word code things are getting harder.

Lohra said...

Do you really need to ask? Of course I wasn't! At least...not as bossy as Christine.

Chelsi Ritter said...

i know when we were at field school you bossed me around all the time. just kidding!

Chelsi Ritter said...

laura i just read that you're going to ireland in march! i can't even express how excited i am for you. it's my second favorite place ever (oregon being the first, of course!). it's sooooo gorgeous, you'll love it. man, i've been trying to talk eric into going over there but we just don't have the money right now. anyway, that's so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Another creepy child song "Ring around the Roses" which is about the plague..."ashes, ashes we all fall down". And have you ever read the real Grimm's Fairy Tales, which most known fairy tales are based off? They never have a happy ending. Thank goodness for Disney and their happy talking animals to balance it all out.

Lohra said...

Except we all know Disney is ALL about subliminal messages...

Brittney said...

I now have so much more insight about you.

Big Daddy D said...

Notice how you didn't try and give your older brother the survey to fill out since i could give you the best perspective.

Unknown said...

We sang almost the exact same song in Grade school. It was either 1st or 2nd grade. I am 51 years old now and I think back and it is just like yesterday. It is kind of scary that we sang this in school.

Oh mister moon, moon, bright and shiny moon,
won't you please shine down on me?
Oh mister moon, moon, bright and shiny moon,
won't you come out from behind that tree?
Oh, my life's in danger but I'm scared to run,
...there's a man behind me with a big shotgun,
Oh mister moon, moon, bright and shiny moon,
won't you please shine down on me