Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ah, music.

For a girl who didn’t know that New Kids on the Block existed until they were old news I feel like I’ve really come into my own. During my angst-filled pre-teen years that lasted well into college I bought my first cd: “Let Your Dim Light Shine” by Soul Asylum (remember Runaway Train?). I felt like I could really connect with their song “Misery.”

Later, I discovered (and fell in love with) Fuel before they became big. I learned all the words to 2Pac’s “Changes” during my rap phase Senior year of High School…until I realized I shouldn’t be listening to music that swears and clean rap is not good rap. Soon after, I had a quarter-life crisis and started borrowing punk music from my younger brothers and sisters. I even created my own genre and a series of 9 cds filled with “Semi-Soft Alternative” hits from bands like Jimmy Eat World, Good Charlotte, and Dashboard Confessional. After slowing it down even more I am now into Indie music with the best of Utah.

I guess it’s apparent that I go through music like…I was going to say clothes but I only get new clothes when my mom comes to visit--about once a year. I’m always on the lookout for new music, on the other hand. I will love, love, love a song or an artist for awhile until I discover something new and different and then I’ll love, love, love that for awhile. Rinse, wash, repeat. Usually this process only takes a few months or so and all the while I’ll collect music I enjoy but may not absolutely love. So, despite having what I consider selective music tastes, I currently own 5 1/2 days worth of songs. Which is good because, if possible, I will have music playing all the time--in the car, doing homework, watching tv…

Anyway, I started to wonder if there was any music that has withstood the test of time--songs that I’ve loved and will continue loving ‘til nearly forever. Of course there are artists that I grew up listening to that will retain a special place in my collection--Elton John, The Beatles, and Phil Collins to name a few--but are there songs that I go back to time and time again? Not really...but there are some, even if just for sentimentality. So I’ve collected a few for your listening pleasure. The last two are songs I'm loving right now (subject to change in the next few weeks or so).

[Embers and Envelopes, Shimmer, Boy With a Coin, Sweet Dream, Arc of Time, Life Uncommon, Soldier's Daughter, Two Points for Honesty, High and Dry, So Long So Long, Nothing Better]


4 comments:

The Everyday Housewife said...

Love your selections, Laura! Did you know I always steal the cds you've made for Krissy and make copies. You've got great taste!!

The Beckstroms said...

I am surprised that you didn't know who New Kids on the Block were....they were Melissa's favorite, but i guess you were in Michigan. She got a lot of slack for it :)

bryan said...

heya. I tend to go through music phases and listen to various things. But I think I usually come back to indie and pop-folk typ stuff, or some combination of those two. Where did you get that Bright Eyes song? I feel like the stuff I've heard of bright eyes (which doesn't include that song) are a little sadder sounding and somewhat wordy. I think that's why I haven't listened to it in a while, but I do like that song you've got up quite a bit.

Your sister said...

Oh my gosh! I just started listening to punk. Does that mean I'm going through a quarter life crisis too. I just checked out a Relient K cd from the library. The first time I listened to it I felt like I was a high schooler. My music tastes are about five years old though.