Monday, August 08, 2011

Northern Michigan.

After the reception downstate, the family returned home and I had a day to recover before I had a friend come into town. This is a rare event for me as people don't often care to visit my hometown -- maybe because it's in the middle of nowhere, or because they know that Lake Superior is really too cold to ski on, or maybe it's because they hate having fun in beautiful places. I really don't know...it is possible that I never really invite anyone...keeping it quaint, you know. Regardless of what category you fit in, you should read Smithsonian Magazine's article on the area. Maybe you'll be surprised. As we were when we figured out that the main picture is of my little brother.

So, sidetrack over, my friend arrived and we enjoyed ourselves by hiking small mountains, taking ridiculous pictures, cliff jumping, hanging out at the beach, biking along the lake shore, watching the sun set (twice), walking along the breakwall to the lighthouse, picking strawberries, going to Harry Potter at midnight, playing games with my family, eating local fare, and just plain having a better time than anyone who's never been.
A little thing Midwesterners call "the woods."
This is my friend. She's having fun. Her feet are not freezing.
Unfortunately, I left the fruits of our labors (get it...get it?!? :wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge:) at home.
Who wants to come here now?

4 comments:

Becky said...

me!

Sara said...

And, if I may...it was the best freakin vacation ever. Add that to your list of cool things about Marquette. Yeah.

Jen said...

You sure like to rub things in people's faces don't you? Typical.

Kristin said...

Oh, pick me. Maybe nora will like you better in the UP.