Sunday, August 28, 2011

Start Wearing Purple.

My family has a theme song. Is that weird? I don't care. It's the truth. It's called "Start Wearing Purple" by Gogol Bordello.



It's a quirky song that my sister, Kathryn, found and shared with me years ago. Soon our sister was on board and then my parents were converted. After that it was official. My mom even had it as her ringtone for awhile. I don't know exactly why we love it. Maybe because it's a little bizarre. Fun bizarre. Like the movie Strictly Ballroom. "You stupid stupid man."

So when Kathryn got married this summer and chose different shades of purple as her wedding colors, my dad and I thought it would be a great joke to play this song at her reception.

By the time we turned it on most of the guests had cleared out and extended family was sitting around chatting. I walked over to Kathryn to get her attention and what transpired next was simply marvelous. We all started singing and then almost simultaneously, my parents began mimicking the Greek handkerchief dance...
My adopted brother, Sergei, did a little Russian dance...
And John, the ever-attention-seeking brother, walked into the middle of the room, dramatically doffed his suit coat, clapped his hands with a flourish, and then held up his coat like a cape for Kathryn to charge. Which she promptly did.
It was one of those moments for which you want to clap. And then instantly watch the replay. I just stood there laughing and yelling, "OPA!"

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Where is the video footage?! Your family is crazy fun. Telepathic peanut butter cookies for you.

Katherine Lewis said...

I really, really, really loved this post.