Saturday, January 17, 2009

I am NOT a morning person.

My first semester at BYU I took a class at 9:00 in the morning. My second semester at BYU I vowed to never take a class at 9:00 again. So I didn't.

Until now.

This semester, I've been forced to sign up for a class at 7:30 in the morning 4 days a week. I know, I know--all you people with jobs are groaning and rolling your eyes at my pathetic complaining. I've been there before. I thought it would help me. It didn't. Refreshed and rejuvenated are not words to describe how I feel that early in the morning. Instead, I feel muddle-headed and sick and wanting the world to crash down on top of me just so I can sleep again. That includes days I get to bed on time. Maybe I have a chemical imbalance...maybe my circadian cycle is perpetually set to the wrong time zone...maybe my old roommate shouldn't have thought I was lazy for sleeping in past 8:30.

It's remarkable to me that early-morning seminary was ever a part of my life. Perhaps now you'll understand why I barely passed. It's difficult to see but those highlighted numbers are my absences and tardies. Yikes, right?

If I'm anything like my mother...and I am...I'll be doomed to nocturnality forever. In 30 years you'll see me sitting by the side of my bed drinking Diet Coke and eating popcorn, playing solitaire at midnight.

Here's to life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're still blogging in 30 years and documenting your late nights, popcorn and diet coke. I'll still be reading.

Mr. Walker said...

I don't even have my original birth certificate, but you still got your seminary grade book. Amazing.

Props for using a rare primary source that is almost a decade old!

The Everyday Housewife said...

I loved seeing your seminary report card! It brought back memories from my early morning seminary days. The only time I was awake was on donut mornings!!

Brittney said...

If it makes you feel any better I was reading this at 3:50 a.m. Don't know why it would, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.