Thursday, January 01, 2009

Ring Out, Wild Bells!

Hap-hap-happy New Year's!

In the past I've written about the lameness of celebrating the new year, or rather the inability I have of seeing what the hype is all about.

Well, this year was different...and it's not because I'm dating someone. (...I'm not dating someone) Nor is it because I finally "saw the light." I just ended up having a great time.

My family went up to my aunt's house for some extended family times. At first, it was just another get together. People trying to enjoy each other, but really, not trying that hard--I worked on a little internship stuff desperately avoiding every U fan watching the rerun of the BYU v. Utah game. There was a little Guitar Hero, a little harassing of small children, which was enjoyable but not at all New Year's celebration worthy...but then...there were suddenly Indian leg wrestling competitions, headstands, headstands to handstands, breakdancing, and the disproving of "tricks that guys can't do."

When 2008 finally ticked to a close with a loud 10-second countdown, 2009 was ushered in with a hearty "Happy New Year!" and an obligatory attempt at Auld Lang Syne. Cheers were extended in little green plastic cups brimming with sparkling something-or-other.

If the first few hours of 2009 are any indication of it's potential, it's going to be a good year.

3 comments:

The Everyday Housewife said...

It's going to be a great year, Laura! Sure loved seeing you. Sorry about the lengthy game of Catch Phrase! Hope you got enough sleep.

Anonymous said...

Sparkling something or other? Sounds a little questionable to me... Happy New Year!

The Beckstroms said...

That honestly was the BEST New Year's bash! I just keep laughing picturing all of the events that went on that evening. We LOVE you guys, your family is so much fun. Glad we could all be together and be crazy! I still am trying to figure out that chair, man vs. woman, center of gravity trick...that was hilarious!