Saturday, January 10, 2009

My life: An update.

There were so many reasons to quit my job:
-more free time to allocate towards school
-which we all know will be used instead to salve the festering wound that is my social life
-the girl sitting behind me chewed so loudly I was beginning to go clinically insane
-I suddenly got an internship that provided a guise of "good experience"
-it's obviously a good time because the economy has never been better
-and I only worked 4 days in the two-week holiday timespan and people were beginning to catch on
...so I did it. I quit. Again.

Thursday was my last day and quitting proved successful! I had a date on my first free night...which actually proved unsuccessful. He took me to the U2 laser show at the planetarium, which was less like a laser show and more like being stuck in a 3D Windows Media Player animation. Give me a white sheet and four friends with laser pointers and I'll be able to pay my way through college without the accompanying motion sickness. Then we went to Spoon Me. (...I would hastily explain that to my mother but not even she reads my blog...I am, however, still going to explain it to you, my devoted follower.) I longingly watched the Baskin Robbins disappear as we pulled in to get...wait for it...naturally frozen yogurt. You know, the kind that actually tastes like frozen yogurt and not just healthier ice cream. You should all be proud of me though, there was only one brief moment where I didn't display pure granola enjoyment.

For the record, he wasn't nearly as bad as the date was. In fact, we have quite a few similar interests. Despite that, I am not currently interested...and despite that I gave a hearty put-on-the-spot "Sure!" to his inquiring, "Can we do this again sometime?" What I really should have said was, "I will go out with you again as long as we don't do anything close to this."

...I took it too far with that last one, didn't I? Is it possible that this is why I don't date...much? Please don't judge me--I am this way purely for your enjoyment.

More on the internship at a future time yet to be determined.

6 comments:

Stephen Anderson said...

I'm on your side Laura about the Spoon Me thing. I don't understand it. It's like Yoasis. People here have unlimited access to the best dessert in the galaxy, but when some goober comes along and puts up some stupid little stand selling ONE flavor of tart, boring yogurt (and as an added bonus you can pay a whole dollar for one little spoon full of cubed strawberries, worth about 5 cents), and all the sudden it's the greatest thing in the universe.

I took a date there once and it shall never happen again.

And what is the deal with lazer shows anyways? All the most talented technicians and artists collaborating together to make the most amazing lazer show ever witnessed doesn't amount to the CG power of modern cinema, made by one nerdy programmer, sometimes even on YouTube.

Something's just not right. It's an outrage. We need to do something about this! It's gotta be stopped! STOPPED I SAY!!!

By the way I like your posts, even if they do get me on a tangent.

Chelsi Ritter said...

the worst date i went on (besides the ski trip with some guy at ricks who was a pro and i'd never been-it was reeeally bad) was a whopping 8 hour first date. regardless of it being a bad date, it was 8 hours! how can any guy be so clueless? i'm still asking myself that question. anyway, i hope the second date is better, and i'm glad the guy's alright!

Shannon said...

I'm anti-laser as well Laura. They give me a splitting headache so I sit there with my eyes close and every few minutes I take a peak until I want to puke. I'm sure the date that took me was wondering why he just paid money for me to close my eyes. Weird. Didn't know about the quiting..congrats. You hated that place.

Mike and Emily said...

I think you could make a killing to a lazer show of "my heart will go on" by Celion Deone. If that doesn't spark this state's dating success, I don't know what will...

Anonymous said...

I've got some frozen yogurt in the back of my fridge. It's strawberry banana, but I'm not sure how long it's been there. I'll give it to you for half the price of what they charged.

Anonymous said...

Rob made his way through undergrad and grad just doing TA work. They pay half or 3/4 of tuition and it's like 2 days a week. I'm just saying...